What is the GentleLase and why is it a safe treatment?
Lasers have been used for many years for a variety of medical cosmetic procedures including treatment of facial and leg veins, age spots and smoothing fine lines on the face. The GentleLASE, a revolutionary long-Âpulse high energy alexandrite laser system emits a gentle beam of light that passes through the skin, to the hair follicle, where it is absorbed. The laser energy is transformed into heat, which can disable the follicle leaving the surrounding skin unchanged. The skin is further protected during treatment by a dynamic cooling process where a cryogen is sprayed onto the skin cooling the upper layÂers, providing patients increased comfort. This selectivity helps to protect the skin, while effectively treating the unwanted hair.
What conditions are treated with the laser?
Traditional hair removal techniques, such as shaving, plucking and waxing, provide only temporary relief. Until now, the only semi-permanent way to remove hair has been by electrolysis–which can be painful, time-consuming and is limited to small cosmetic areas. Scarring, allergic reactions and ingrown hairs are common side effects of all these hair removal methods. The GentleLASE safely reÂmoves unwanted body hair without damaging the delicate pores and structures of the skin. Facial and bikini areas are usually completed in under ten minutes: legs and larger areas can take longer.
Why should I have the GentleLase treatment?
This is a procedure to remove unwanted hair. The best results have been achieved on darkÂer, finer hair but other factors may influence the treatment process and are generally best evaluated and discussed in person. The GentleLASE process offers safe and effective treatment.
What does the treatment include?
Depending on the amount of hair treated, the procedure varies from patient to patient, Generally, the treatment will include:
- Safety eyewear to protect the patient’s eyes during the procedure from the intense laser light.
- A small handpiece will be used with a probe that touches the skin to deliver the laser light. A light spray of coolant onto the skin will be felt just before each laser pulse.
- Most patients experience little discomfort at the treatment site because of the dynamic cooling device.
- The degree of discomfort varies with each person, depending on his/her pain threshold, Topical anesthesia may also be requested. Be sure to discuss this with your physician in advance of the laser treatment.
- The procedure can take as little as 10 minutes or up to all hour, depending on the area treated. All patients can go home immediately following treatment.
- The treated area may become pink or red within about 30 minutes of treatment; this may last from a few hours to several days.
What precautions should be taken before and after treatment?
Avoid the sun 4-6 weeks before and after treatment until your physician allows it. You MUST avoid bleaching, plucking or waxing hair for 3 weeks prior to treatment. If you have had a history of perioral herpes, prophylactic antiviral therapy may be prescribed. If you are tan or have a darker skin type, a bleaching cream may be started 4-6 weeks before treatment. You should discuss your desired results and the improvements you expect to achieve. Together you and the physician can decide if your expectations will be met and if this laser treatment is the best option.
How many treatments will I need?
Hair grows in cycles. The number of treatments required depends upon your skin, hair coloring and coarseness of the hair. Everyone will require at least 2-3 treatments as the process is only effective on hairs during their growing cycle. Repeated sessions will be necÂessary to treat these follicles when they reÂenter the growth phase.
Contact our office to schedule a consultation appointment to help determine if our GentleLASE services are the right choice for you.